Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Let it snow...

Big happy sigh.






I am 29 years old (and as a side note, I'm still in a bit of denial that I have actually celebrated my last twenties birthday...) and I think I can safely say that this will be my first white Christmas ever in my life.

And I am so happy about that I can't even find the words for it.

I know it's a silly thing in the big scheme of life. But living in the Great Northwest since I was five (California before that so no snow for sure there!) has meant many a chilly, wet, gray and green Christmas morning. We've had snow the day after Christmas and snow the few days before... But not once that I can recall have we actually had snow on the ground for Christmas.

Now we have more snow than anyone knows what to do with! We still have 8-12 inches of accumulated snow from the past two weeks' worth of snow storms, and as I look out our office window right now there is the lightest, prettiest snow falling on top of the already thickly coated white roof tops of the neighborhood.

Granted no one can drive anywhere and even our annual family Christmas afternoon at my husband's parents house (only a 40 minute drive away) has been postponed to New Years day. Sure the plow guys have run out of places to shove the snow from the roads. And yes, it's treacherous even walking to get the mail since the snow is so thick you can't tell where the sidewalk ends and the street begins (I fell flat on my behind a few days ago while carrying Girly Pie to check the mail... I thought I was on the sidewalk but I was actually on a neighbor's driveway as it sloped into the street and the ice under the thick snow was slippery and SPLAT! I have the bruised bottom to prove it!). We're not making it out to town for the Christmas Eve church service and we're hopeful we'll even be able to make it the 3/4 of a mile to Mary Grace's house to celebrate Christmas afternoon together!

But all the modern inconveniences aside, I am still just tickled pink that there is snow on the ground as Christmas arrives. I know our savior was not born in anywhere near snowy weather. But I do have to say that I have always dreamed of that old-fashioned classic white Christmas.

And then on Friday it can all melt and I'll be just fine. I'll have had my fill of white for the winter.

Hehe.

So Merry Christmas to you all. I hope that your special day is filled with the warmth of a loving family, the peace of a safe home, the awareness of God's gift of grace and love... and sprinkled with the laughter of happy children, the smiles of eager anticipation as your little ones await your reaction to a gift they've worked so very hard to make or buy for you, the memories of your own young Christmases full of warmth and joy... and maybe, just maybe, a few inches of white stuff covering the still world around you as you celebrate the birth of our savior.

2 comments:

Lori said...

Merry Christmas! I'd love a white Christmas, but I'll be celebrating in shorts instead:)

Mom Of E's said...

Did the kids love the snow? I'd been hearing about all that crazy weather in the NW, and I was wondering how much snow you guys got.

It's been snowing every couple of days here, but we've had a couple of days in the 40s as well, so now we just have a lot of ice.

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas. Even though the snow messed up all of your plans, there's something kind of fun about being snowed in.

I do hope poor Girly Pie will have some relief soon from her teething. What does she think of the snow?

I just thought of this.....Do you guys even have snow pants for the boys?? I am certainly ready to move somewhere where it only snows a few times a year......but there's no convincing Elle. She thinks all the snow is WONDERFUL.

Well, I better get back to the organizing. We are going through all the toys in our house to find the ones we are going to donate......to make room for the new toys the grandparents went crazy buying. :-)

Anne