Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A blessed reminder...

While meandering through some new blogs today, I saw a bible verse quoted in one very nice blog. It's a verse I have read before, but it affected me in a new way this time.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 “Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.”

Now, let me just say that I do tend to pray almost constantly, and I am one to give thanks in just about every circumstance. I tend to be a the-glass-is-half-full-thanks-to-God kinda gal, anyway. But that first part... "Be joyful always," is the part that struck me this time. I know for a fact that I do not sound joyful when I scold my kids (no matter how gently) for the umpteenth time in a day for not doing what I asked the first time I asked it. I know that if you asked them, they'd tell you I'm a pretty happy lady most of the time. But the Bible says it right there, plain as day. "Be joyful ALWAYS..." No little escape clause about being joyful "most of the time," as far as I can see.

So that is the verse I will be writing out on a note card to hang on my kitchen cupboards when I finish this post. That is the verse I will be memorizing this week (or month, depending on how reliable my Mommy-Brain is at this time...). That is just what I needed to hear.

1 comment:

Missus Wookie said...

That is one of my favourite verses... hard to live up to but so worth trying.