Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Not just baby talk...

Two new words were uttered by my sweet Girly Pie today. For some reason, today seem to be the day that she officially decided to move past single syllable (up, milk, no) or repeating sound (mama, buh-buh (brother), nigh-nigh) words and open up to the wide world of multi-syllabic speech.
So in addition to rambling all day long in a multitude of completely unintelligible, yet stunningly adorable strings, Girly Pie did say two very distinct words which I found quite impressive for a girl of 18 months.

First, while reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar to her during some potty time sitting, she repeated enough times for me to be sure it was a word and not a ramble: "bahlluh-billah." Get it? Caterpillar! She's a genius, I know.

And as if that wasn't impressive enough, she later brought me a jar from the pantry (one of her favorite past times in the kitchen) and proudly, and repeatedly, proclaimed, "billah-budduh." Surely you don't need a translation for such a straight forward word. But just in case... it was a jar of peanut butter.
So yes I am laughing at myself in one way, because clearly this is just a proud mommy-moment and no one else in the entire world would have a clue that those were words and not just baby babble.

But those are four syllable words, people! Two of them, in ONE DAY! I was very impressed, and quite proud. She has said them both multiple times today and when you point to the caterpillar or the peanut butter and ask her what they are she will repeat the same rhythm and sounds. And to the trained ear, they are clearly the intended words.

She really is at such a darling age. And today, in addition to her two amazing new words, she really has been babbling up a storm more than I have ever seen her do. It's just the cutest thing ever!

2 comments:

Melody said...

How sweet!! I just love that stage! It's so fun to watch your little one learn to communicate right before your eyes. It is funny how their garbled baby talk is clear as a bell to a mamma. I still have to occasionally translate what Norah is saying for my hubby : )

Unknown said...

Hi Benny!
You asked on my blog about Kissaluv diapers. Honestly Im not a fan of fitteds at all! Mainly because I hate to snap on a diaper and a cover and then put on clothes! LOL! I have some Haute Pockets that have stood the test of time. Or for a cheaper option consider trifolding PF's and laying in covers. If you have 10 or so covers it wont matter if it gets messy because you can just toss it in the pail to wash later! Very inexpensive even with all the added covers!