Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Overheard today:

Now, I know it's not the best song in the world, but I loved it as a kid and I turned out fine. So the fact that all three of my boys love it is not shocking. And despite the fact that some of the content is less than appropriate... well, it's just a good song. So I let them hear it and sing it.

So today at our late morning snack time, all three of my boys started spontaneously singing American Pie by Don McLean - all together. They only know the main chorus and one or two of the other parts. But still, how cute is that? So there is Punky, leading the crew in his totally off key and carefree and LOUD voice. Goose is just chanting the main words he knows from the chorus. He's totally on key and on rhythm. Finny is pretty good himself. They are having a wonderful brother moment as Girly Pie looks on in her adoring way.

So, not wanting to miss the chance I whip out the digital camera and flip it to video to record the happy moment. Of course as I start recording the perfect harmony starts to dwindle as kids drop off and actually start eating, but I still catch some of the sweetness.

And just as they end a chorus, everyone has one of those odd moments of complete silence. I was getting ready to click off the record button when I heard Finny begin to make a comment. Not wanting to rudely cut him off, I decided to keep recording until after he finished his thought. I am so glad I did:

All together:
Bye bye Miss American Pie
Drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry.
Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey and rye,
Singin', "This'll be the day that I die,
this'll be the day that I die..."
Silence from all. Then...
Finny:
"Well, yeah, cuz' they were drinkin' ALCOHOL!!!"
And then of course you hear my snickering on the camera. How can you not laugh!?
Yes, Finny my boy. It's always you that says something so deep and hilarious in those random quiet moments.

No comments: