Saturday, September 27, 2008

Mmmmm....


I finally feel like it's fall. The leaves are starting to turn colors in earnest now, and those warm, sunny days are ending in cool, crisp evenings rather than the stifling hot nights of summer.


I forget every year how much I love fall until we hit this point. I am a summer girl myself. I love the freedom and joy that come with long hot days with backyard BBQs and popsicles in sandy, wet hands, dripping down little bare chins and chests. So I always start to mourn a bit the end of summer and the onset of fall, sad for all the wonderful days that are soon to be left behind.

But then fall really starts. And I remember that I really love it. I love the turn of seasons. All of them really, but summer turning to fall is really just lovely.

So to celebrate my very late acknowledgment of fall’s arrival, I thought I’d share my favorite fall recipe. So here it is, my Pumpkin Spice Bar recipe. You should make it. It’s pretty fast and really simple and terribly fattening. And, best of all, I guarantee you’ll LOVE it.

Benny's Pumpkin Spice Bars

In a small bowl, mix together:

2 cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

In a larger bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer) combine:

4 eggs
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (or your own fresh pumpkin is fine, too)
1 cup oil (I use canola, but it’s a flexible recipe)

Once the wet ingredients are all mixed, slowly add the dry mix into them. Then pour the resulting batter into an 11x15 baking dish (9x13 is OK, but I find the bars better when they are thinner). I usually spray my pan with Pam or some other non-stick spray. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes. DO NOT OVERCOOK. That is crucial. These are very moist, and you do not want to cook them to the point that they dry out. I just check with a toothpick and wait until the center does not look wet, but particles do still stick to the toothpick.

Once the spice bars are cool, spread cream cheese frosting over the top. The more the better. You can use a can of pre-made, but I use a homemade recipe and it’s definitely better, if I have the time and ingredients. In a pinch, the can will work just fine, though. My cream cheese frosting recipe is from Mary Grace, actually. But I’m sure she won’t mind my sharing it:

Beat together until creamy:
One 8 oz pkg softened cream cheese
½ cup softened butter
1 + tsp vanilla (I always make it an overflowing tsp…)

Then slowly add 4 cups powdered sugar and mix until it’s done.

To make it pretty, I usually drag a fork across the frosted pan of bars lengthwise in little waves back and forth. But that’s optional.


In the end, it’s a lot like a cake. But it’s much, much better, in my humble opinion.

So, happy baking and happy eating. Let me know if you try it. I’d love to know if it’s as popular at your house as it is at mine.

4 comments:

EllaJac said...

Hey, this looks pretty good. I tried a "pumpkin chocolate chip cookie" a while back - kindof cakey things, and they were just terrible. I don't know if it was the chocolate-pumpkin combo, or just the overall recipe, but I actually ended up feeding it to the chickens.

Okay, well, maybe I picked out the chocolate chips first.

The Proverbs Wife said...

Hello Benny. How are you? Last week you had asked a question regarding what I consider to be quarterly tasks. Well I amswered your question and then some. If you care to stop by I posted the response today (9/28/08).

Have a blessed day.

Melody said...

I was just thinking this morning, while at Bible Study, that when it is my turn for snacks I would like ti bring something pumpkiny. This recipe looks perfect.
Have you ever tried making them with whole wheat flour or a combination? Do you think it would ruin them?

Benny said...

Melody, I've never tried whole wheat flour, but in the years we avoided wheat all together (food allergies with Finny) I did use other flour substitutes(rice/tapioca/potato etc. flours) and it turned out great. I'm sure using some whole wheat flour would be good, too. Try it! And then let me know how they turn out. ;o)

Benny