Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Semantics


So I've come to the conclusion... or maybe it's more of a realization... well, call it what you will... I have decided that I am ECLECTIC.

I’m eclectic in what styles and topics I choose here on my blog. I’m eclectic in what I teach my children. I’m eclectic in the foods I like, in the décor that draws me, in the friends I love, in the clothes I wear… the list goes on and on.

Now, at first glance, wouldn’t you say that sounds, oh I don’t know… exotic? I think “eclectic” has a very exotic and fascinating ring to it. It makes me feel so… fancy and decidedly different.

But here’s the thing. Eclecticism is, I think, just a fancy word for indecision. I just can’t make up my mind about much of anything.

So maybe it doesn’t sound so fancy and exotic when I put that spin on it:

I can’t make up my mind about what style I want use in writing my blog. I can’t decide how best to teach each of my children what they need to learn in their years home with me. I can’t commit to any particular meal plan because I never feel sure that I have really chosen the best possible meals for any given period of time. I can’t decorate a room from start to finish because I can’t seem to make up my mind on which furniture, decorations, wall hangings and window coverings I like best. Et cetera.

I think you get the point.

Anyway, I feel like the Lord is working in me on my follow-through and my decision making. I may always lean towards the indecisive side of life. I will likely always be drawn to a variety of different choices, from foods to friends to decorations to traditions. Maybe that is just part of who I am. But maybe it’s something that I need to work on.

Or maybe it’s something God wants to work on in me.

So I’ll be doing just that. Working on it and praying on it. And hoping that it’s not too terribly painful a thing to change. ;o)

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

Hey! I saw a link to your blog from Tree Climbing Adventures and just have to comment on this note and say... me too! This is so close to my own feelings about myself I just had to say! God bless.