Monday, September 15, 2008

The romance of motherhood

Isn't it just so sweet, tucking your children into bed for the night? There is your beautiful six year old boy, sleepy and cozy, all snuggled up under the covers. He looks at you with big, beautiful brown eyes overflowing with love for you, his beloved Mommy. You lean in to whisper one last sweet thing to him and to give him one last kiss for the day as he nods off to sleep.

Then he says, "Mom..."

...and you wait to hear what sweet, lovely thing he has to say to you. "Mmmm?" you say.

And he says, with a sweet smile on his face, "You have really bad breath."
Then he just looks at you, unashamed and unembarrassed, still smiling sweetly, as though he's just told you how beautiful you are, as far as he's concerned.

"Yeah? Sorry 'bout that."

"Yeah. I really can't stand it."

"Ok. (slight pause) Well. G'night, Punks. See you in the morning. I love you."
"Love you too, Mom. Night."

Ahh. isn't it just so romantic? That's the stuff the dreams of parenthood are made of, huh?

3 comments:

Mom Of E's said...

I just about fell off my chair laughing. I'll be brushing, flossing, and using mouthwash before bedtime stories tonight!

mary grace said...

I can just picture his earnest little face saying that! That boy is just adorable. And LITTLE. He's just so little and babylike. I mean ... he's practically still in diapers, Benny. :-)

sariah said...

Oh that was just about the funniest and most honest things I've read in a long time. As a mother of five I relate. :-)